Hawkesdale was proud to celebrate with and publicly acknowledge the efforts of two of its residents at the Moyne Shire Council Australia Day Celebration Tuesday 26 January 2010.
The first community award went to Mrs Julie Bos, who runs the local Post Office. Julie was awarded for her fine efforts and sheer hard voluntary work in many community activities including the following.:-
- management, operations and appearance of the local Swimming Pool.
- management of and fundraising for the local Shire Hall
- voluntary audit work for local community organisations
- active role on HADDAC (Hawkesdale and District Development and Action Committee) in the beautiful appearance of our town and Apex Park
- expanding her post office to also providing basic provisions when the local milk bar closed down.
- and many other activities
The second award was Junior Citizen Award to Jack Keegan, the Hawkesdale P12 College School Captain of 2009. Jack has been involved in many school and community activities, including the following:-
- an awardee of a gold Duke of Edinburgh medal
- member of the Moyne Shire Junior Council
- Hawkesdale P12 College School Captain 2009
- Hakwesdale P12 College SRC member
- School representative at local, district and state level sporting activities
- Successful member and player for several local sporting clubs
- Participant in the 444,000 trees project
- Involvement in the Willatook Hall and Reserve community activities
Congratulations to these two community members! A big thank you to them for their contributions to our community and to all those other unsung community volunteers!